Tuesday, April 24, 2012

World Book Night U.S.

A tweet from a local Mexican restaurant, Casa Ramirez, posted that they were participating in World Book Night and that any families stopping out for dinner would receive a free copy of "The Hunger Games." My boyfriend and I were immediately intrigued and decided to hop in the car to show our support.

What is World Book Night?  "World Book Night is a celebration of reading and books which will see tens of thousands of people share [one million combined copies of] books with others in their communities across America to spread the joy and love of reading on April 23, 2012."



The back of the book jacket gives a complete listing of the 30 books selected by a panel of booksellers and librarians. The book we received, "The Hunger Games," has a special cover commemorating World Book Night U.S. 2012 (as this was also being done in the U.K. and Ireland). There is also a letter to the reader on the inside cover explaining the purpose of World Book Night, offering creative outlets for people to respond to the book they have read, and ask that they share it with someone else upon completion of the novel.

I was extrememly impressed that our local Mexican resturant was taking part in such a great event. I was even more excited with the amount of time it took my students to snatch up the book after placing it on my desk for them to borrow - it didn't make it passed homeroom!
World Book Night U.S. = Definite Success!

2 comments:

  1. Hi - interested to read about the World Books session, I'm a little late to participate having only just come across you on Blogging Buddies! Will certainly be following you from now on: hope you'll do the same for me at www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com. I post there about the plushies I make, mend and otherwise create in the hope that I will then be able to sell them at www.coldhamcuddlies.etsy.com! Hope to see you there sometime.

    Meanwhile, all the best. Isobel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Following you from BSN...trying to cover all social and network sites in my bid to follow follow follow! been inspired to review a book or two!

    ReplyDelete

Comments keep me smiling!

Print Friendly and PDF